turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

qom2001

If I am renting a house that I am still paying mortgage on, do I use the total amt of rent the renters paid to me, or do I claim what I actually gained after mortgage pmt

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

If I am renting a house that I am still paying mortgage on, do I use the total amt of rent the renters paid to me, or do I claim what I actually gained after mortgage pmt

You will claim the amount that you receive from your renters as rental income.  Then you will deduct your expenses (including your mortgage interest) from that income to determine your overall income or loss from your rental property.

Use the following steps to go to the rental income and expenses section of your return:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)

• This opens a box where you can type in “rental income and expenses” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)

• The search results will give you an option to “Jump to rental income and expenses

• Click on the blue “Jump to rental income and expenses” link and enter

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

You will claim the amount that you receive from your renters as rental income.  Then you will deduct your expenses (including your mortgage interest) from that income to determine your overall income or loss from your rental property.

Use the following steps to go to the rental income and expenses section of your return:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)

• This opens a box where you can type in “rental income and expenses” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)

• The search results will give you an option to “Jump to rental income and expenses

• Click on the blue “Jump to rental income and expenses” link and enter

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies