Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lartisti

I will have a $6,000.00 stock loss . Can I file 1040 form an still take the standerd deduction an the stock loss or do I have to go long form ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I will have a $6,000.00 stock loss . Can I file 1040 form an still take the standerd deduction an the stock loss or do I have to go long form ?

Yes, you can still take the standard deduction. Stock losses are not a deduction, they are negative income and have a line on form 1040 to be reported on.

Form 1040 is the "long form". Capital gains and losses are reported on  form 8949  and schedule D.  Your net capital loss, goes to line 13 of form 1040, but no more than -$3000. By law, capital losses are limited to $3000/year. The other -$3000 will carry over to next year to be deducted or reduce capital gains on sch D.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you have a stock sale (and loss), the use of Online Premier will be the minimum software required .  you cannot use Online Free or Online Deluxe to report that loss.

Any of the Desktop versions will report it, even "Basic".....but desktop Basic does not include one free state software set...Deluxe+State desktop software would be cheaper if you have a state.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Have you actually sold the stock?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, you can still take the standard deduction. Stock losses are not a deduction, they are negative income and have a line on form 1040 to be reported on.

Form 1040 is the "long form". Capital gains and losses are reported on  form 8949  and schedule D.  Your net capital loss, goes to line 13 of form 1040, but no more than -$3000. By law, capital losses are limited to $3000/year. The other -$3000 will carry over to next year to be deducted or reduce capital gains on sch D.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies