turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I was supposed to receive a K-1 form with additional numbers for some gas royalties that I received. Can I file my taxes without it or do I need to wait and how long?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I was supposed to receive a K-1 form with additional numbers for some gas royalties that I received. Can I file my taxes without it or do I need to wait and how long?

Your best option is to file an extension, if you don't think you will have the K-1 prior to April 18th this year.  If you file without it, you will have to amend your tax return later when you receive your K-1 Form.  The extension allows you an additional 6 months to file your tax return.  You will likely receive your K-1 before then.

How do I file an extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax online?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301811

Remember that an extension is simply an extension of time to file your return.  It is not an extension of time to pay your tax due.  If you will owe this year you should make a payment with your extension to avoid penalties and interest.

Carl
Level 15

A K-1 for royalties? Are you absolutely sure on that? Generally, royalty income will be reported to you on a 1099-MISC with the income reported in box 2 of that form.  Why are you expecting this to be on a K-1? It also matters what kind of K-1. 1065 K-1? 1120-S K-1? 1120 K-1? 1041 K-1?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies