Solved: I wanted to know can I add the utility bills to the rental property that I was paying, even if nobody was living there at the moment. Kept them on to get repairs done.

biggenegtp

I wanted to know can I add the utility bills to the rental property that I was paying, even if nobody was living there at the moment. Kept them on to get repairs done.

PeterM

Yes. From what you've said, those are operating expenses of the rental.

PeterM

view2

Idle Property

Continue to claim a deduction for depreciation on property used in your rental activity even if it is temporarily idle (not in use). For example, if you must make repairs after a tenant moves out, you still depreciate the rental property during the time it is not available for rent. 

An expense.