turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

luke4

I want to enter my "rent paid" for Michigan but I can't find where to enter it.

Other question's answers stated that since I live in Michigan, I will be prompted to enter that info but I never was.  where do I enter the rent I paid during 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PatriciaR

Yes, you can enter Michigan rent if it is your permanent home and you meet all the following requirements

·         Your homestead is in Michigan

·         You were a resident of Michigan for at least six months during the year

·         You own or are contracted to pay rent and occupy a Michigan homestead on which property taxes were levied

·         If you own your home, your taxable value is $135,000 or less (unless unoccupied farmland)

·         Your total household resources are $50,000 or less (part year residents must annualize total household resources to determine if a credit reduction applies)

For more information, follow this link: 

Michigan Homestead Exemption

Here are the steps to enter Rent in your Michigan return:

Click on State (left menu column)

As you go through the interview, you will come to the a menu for General Info, Income, Credits and taxes, etc.  Click on Credits and taxes  (click on screenshot #1 below)

Click on the Start/Revisit box next to Homestead Property Tax Credit.  (See Screenshot #2 below.)

On the screen Do you want to review your total household resources? click Yes.  (Screenshot #3)

On the Location of Property screen answer Yes (if appropriate).   (Screenshot #4)

At Any of These Sources of Household Resources - check the boxes that apply (if applicable) (Screenshot #5)

At Enter Medical Insurance or HMO Premiums, enter amount, if applicable (Screenshot #6)

On the Homestead Property Tax Credit screen click on Yes (if appropriate).  

Continue through the rest of the screens, entering the requested information.

NOTE:  Keep in mind that some screens may appear differently depending on where you are in the program.  If you need additional assistance, please comment and I will assist further.

having issues entering the amount i paid for my rent for the year 2019 in Michigan 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Entering your rent for Michigan is done in the interview toward then end. These are the steps for you since there are already details in your state.

• From the left menu select State>
  • Continue>
  • Michigan click Continue>
  • The summary page will appear with Go over your Michigan Taxes
  • Scroll down to Credits and taxes and click Edit.>
  • Homestead Property Tax Credit and Edit.
  • Do  you want to review your household income? Answer Yes
  • At the Rented Homestead Summary, click Edit to enter the amount you paid for rent dates.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies