turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Transfer of rental property to LLC

I transferred a rental property from myself to my own texas LLC. The LLC is designated as  a disregarded entity, and to my knowledge does not need a 1065 return. Turbotax (personal return)  asks me if I sold/disposed of this rental property. What should I say?Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Your transfer to a single-member LLC (or two member LLC if both members are married and filing a joint return) changes absolutely nothing what-so-ever, since the IRS sees your LLC as a disregarded entity. You still report your rental income & expenses on SCH E.  Unless you have non-rental related income/expenses in your LLC, you have nothing to report for your LLC and a SCH C is not required.

This article may be of interest:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://budgeting.thenest.com/tax-consequences-transferring-property-limited-liability-company-33711....>
Carl
Level 15

I've routinely seen where folks put a rental into an LLC, yet they either do not transfer title of the property to the LLC, or they discover after the fact that the lender will not allow it. If they don't transfer the title, then the LLC has no assets - thus there's nothing to "protect" with the LLC. On top of that, it still does not change the fact that the tax reporting does not change, as it's still reported on SCH E - not SCH C.
Additionally, in some states (Florida being one) it's extremely easy for a claimant to legally circumvent the LLC protection.
For "real" protection, an S-Corp should be formed "after" you have the lender's permission to transfer title to the S-Corp (in writing of course). By going that route, it's also possible to set things up as a IRA too, thus building a retirement nest egg faster than any other investment could ever hope to legally. But if you go the IRA route, consult with an attorney and have them set that up for you. They'll charge a few grand. But in the long run it will be worth it. If you try doing it yourself and make even one teeny tiny mistake, the IRS won't catch it (quite conveniently for them) until you reach retirement age. Then the fines and penalties could easily wipe out any hopes of retirement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies