• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigmac_13
Returning Member

I used to rent vacant land to a farm. I sold the land to the farmer in 2017 with no rental income for 2017. How do I claim this?

For many years I rented a portion of my land to a farmer. In 2017, I split the parcel into two pieces (farm land and house). I then sold the farm land to the farmer at beginning of 2017. Because I sold the land before farming season I did not have any rental income for 2017. When I told TT Premier this, it says that I don't need to claim this as rental property any more. Therefore, it is to be reported as sale of business property or just sale of personal property because I didn't rent it in 2017 but did rent it for years prior.

The property was all one big lot. House in the corner. Farmer rented all area around house. I then split into two lots and sold the one.

1 Reply
KittyM
Level 2

I used to rent vacant land to a farm. I sold the land to the farmer in 2017 with no rental income for 2017. How do I claim this?

You will report the sale of the of your former rental property as a sale of business property.  The tax effect of selling it will be the same as if it were a sale of personal property.  

You should not have been depreciating the land, but if you had it listed as a rental property and not a farm rental, you will want to sell the property through the rental interview.  This will properly report the sale and remove the rental from your 2018 return.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v