turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I sold tracking stocks last year & that account was closed. How do I report it? Not able to import & the consolidated 1099 doesn't include # of shares that were sold

This was from an old ESPP from a number of years ago.

The company that was for, ended up going private in a merger, so company stopped offering ESPP. Most of Stock got sold off then, but a % of it got turned into a tracking stock.

Got the consolidated 1099 form from the company, which details the summary of the proceeds/gains from the sale (under Form 8949). Everything under 1099-DIV/1099-MISC/1099-B/1099-INT is $0.00 for reference. It doesn't list out anything regarding # of shares sold (since they were fractional due to that merger / going private). Just the total long-term proceeds, cost basis and net gain.

When i go to try and report it on TurboTax for filing, i can't just import since the account is closed. When i go to manually type in long-term sales, it asks for shares sold, which is a number that wasn't provided in the 1099.l 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I sold tracking stocks last year & that account was closed. How do I report it? Not able to import & the consolidated 1099 doesn't include # of shares that were sold

As long as you have the total proceeds and cost basis, the number of shares is not really necessary.  You can estimate the number of shares, or just use 1.00. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

As long as you have the total proceeds and cost basis, the number of shares is not really necessary.  You can estimate the number of shares, or just use 1.00. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome, thank you!
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You're welcome.  Thanks for using TurboTax!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies