Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold stocks and mutual funds for cash to make a down payment on a house. The sales drastically increased the amount I owe NYS. What can I do to reduce what I owe?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I sold stocks and mutual funds for cash to make a down payment on a house. The sales drastically increased the amount I owe NYS. What can I do to reduce what I owe?

If you sell stocks and mutual funds at a profit, you have taxable capital gains.

There is no way to reduce your tax liability either at the federal or state levels.

The down payment for your house is not tax deductible. Only any mortgage interest and property taxes you paid on the new house in 2018 are deductible as itemized deductions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you sell stocks and mutual funds at a profit, you have taxable capital gains.

There is no way to reduce your tax liability either at the federal or state levels.

The down payment for your house is not tax deductible. Only any mortgage interest and property taxes you paid on the new house in 2018 are deductible as itemized deductions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the quick and clear response.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies