turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold stock in 2018. Claimed the sale on my taxes. My 2020 1099-B from Fidelity list the same stock quantities and date acquired that i sold in 2018. What should i do?

I sold on March 5, 2018 shares that i acquired at 7 discrete dates. The same 7 quantities and acquired dates are listed on my 2020 1099-B from Fidelity as stock i sold on August 25, 2020. Fidelity is reporting the sale twice. How do i address in TurboTax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I sold stock in 2018. Claimed the sale on my taxes. My 2020 1099-B from Fidelity list the same stock quantities and date acquired that i sold in 2018. What should i do?

That does not make sense, and TurboTax does not provide a place to enter transactions from 2018.

• Double check your 1099-B
  • Be sure you didn't download 2018 by mistake.
  • Check each of the sales and be sure they are the same stock.
  • What date of sale do they have?  Is it in 2020?
  • As a last resort you should contact Fidelity to confirm the transactions on the 1099-B

If you determine that the transactions are legitimate you can post it to:

Income & Expenses

1. Scroll to Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  2. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2020?
  3. On the OK, what type of investments did you sell? screen, select Stock, Bonds, Mutual Funds. Then select Continue.
  4. From here, you can import or manually enter your 1099-B.
  5. Answer the questions about your sales. Choose to Enter sales one by one when asked.
  6. On the Now, we'll enter one sale on your 1099-B screen, enter your info.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jtax
Level 10

If Fidelity really is reporting a 2018 sale as occurring in 2020, you will have to contact them and get them to issue a corrected 1099. Or explain why the sale was in 2020 and not 2018.

You must report the capital gain in the year in which you sold the stock. You cannot report it in a different year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Look at your Fidelity statement for that date.

What happened on Aug 25, 2020 ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies