turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

erick136

I sold rental property on September 4, 2019. I made a profit of $100,000. If I file an estimated tax return, what is the latest I can file it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I sold rental property on September 4, 2019. I made a profit of $100,000. If I file an estimated tax return, what is the latest I can file it?

Third quarter estimated tax payments for 2019 are due and payable on or before 09/16/2019

Fourth quarter estimated tax payments for 2019 are due and payable on or before 01/15/2020

Go to this IRS website to make a tax payment - https://www.irs.gov/payments

Just to clarify: You don't "file an estimated tax return" in the sense of filling out some form that lists your income, deductions and credits.  You "make an estimated tax payment" by sending a check to the IRS along with a Form 1040ES voucher.  Estimated tax payments may be necessary if you have significant income - like the sale of the rental property - where there's no income taxes withheld.    But you should really check to see if making estimated tax payments is really necessary, or not.

It's perfectly OK to owe a large amount of taxes when you submit your income tax return as long as you're not "underpaid" - a bit of tax jargon with a specific meaning.  If you're underpaid you will owe underpayment penalties along with the tax.

Most taxpayers will avoid being underpaid if they:

1)owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting their taxes WITHHELD and available tax credits,

OR

2)if they paid at least the lesser of
      a)90% of the tax for the current year, or
      b)100% of the tax shown on the return for the prior year. (If last year's return shows AGI over $150K (for married filing jointly) then change that "100%" figure to "110%.)

So if you have a job and can make your taxes withheld and paid in 2019 amount to 100%/110% of last year's tax liability you may choose not to pay estimated taxes. You might still write a big check to send in with your tax return, but you won't be assessed penalties.

Carl
Level 15

Just to clarify, you don't "file" a quarterly tax return. But you may need to "make" a quarterly tax "payment". Generally speaking, if you send the IRS 20% of your taxable gain, then at tax filing time you'll be fine. You can pay the IRS online at http://www.irs.gov/payments. If you take this route (which I recommend) then (and I can't stress this enough) *PRINT* *YOUR* *RECEIPT* and file it with your 2019 tax documents so you'll have it at tax filing time in 2020.

Also, if your state taxes personal income you will need to *separately* pay your state estimated taxes too. How you do that, depends on the state. Not all states support online payment. So you'll need to check your state's department of revenue or department of taxation website for information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies