• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gavandeven

I sold my share of the family cottage in Canada to my sister. Capital gains taxes were withheld by the Canadian Tax Agency. Should I report this sale to thr IRS?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I sold my share of the family cottage in Canada to my sister. Capital gains taxes were withheld by the Canadian Tax Agency. Should I report this sale to thr IRS?

If you are a US citizen or resident alien you need to report your world-wide income no matter where it was received. If that is your situation, then yes you must report it.

If you have paid Canadian tax on this sale, you need to enter that as foreign tax so that you are not taxed twice on the same income.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

If you are a US citizen or resident alien you need to report your world-wide income no matter where it was received. If that is your situation, then yes you must report it.

If you have paid Canadian tax on this sale, you need to enter that as foreign tax so that you are not taxed twice on the same income.  

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v