eRICKSON1

I sold land overseas with proceeds being taxed 12% value added tax and 6.5% capital gains tax. I plan to wire the funds here in full. Do I get taxed again here?

(wire from Philippines  to USA)
DaveF1006

The Philippines and US have a tax treaty that prevents you from being double taxed. You still need to report the sale of your land in the Philippines on your US tax return but you can claim the tax paid in the Philippines as a foreign tax credit on your US return.

Carl

Understand that you are required to report this sale on your U.S. tax return regardless of weather you wire the funds here or not. It just doesn't matter what you do with the proceeds from the sale. It's still a reportable transaction on your U.S. tax return.