Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

I sold ESPP stock shares, but bought them back a week later. Would this go under ESPP sale for this year or until I sell them again?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

The sale of stock out of the ESPP needs to be reported in the year of the sale.  The subsequent purchase does not affect that.

The only effect your purchase might have is if your first sale incurred a loss.  Then the repurchase would constitute "replacement shares" and you'd have to report a wash sale loss on that first sale, not recognizing the loss.  The deferred loss would be added to the basis of the replacement shares.

Tom Young

Tom Young