Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold an apartment owned for 10 years. The first 5 was rented and the last 5 was vacant. To calculate the cost basis, do I need to account 5 or 10 years depreciation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I sold an apartment owned for 10 years. The first 5 was rented and the last 5 was vacant. To calculate the cost basis, do I need to account 5 or 10 years depreciation?

You account for the depreciation while it was available for rent, vacant or not.  You should have been reporting the rental income, expenses and depreciation on a Schedule E with your tax return for each year it was rented or available for rent.

Thanks a lot for the answer; however things are a little more complicated. The property was available for rent only during the first 5 years. However during such period of time I was not a US citizen or resident (the property is located abroad)  and consequently I did not file a income tax returns in US. I stated filing income tax returns  in US when the property was no longer available for rent.

Carl
Level 15

However during such period of (rental) time I was not a US citizen or resident

You're right. It's complicated. It only makes sense you would not have reported it on a U.S. tax return while it was a rental, since you were not required to file a U.S. tax return during that time. I would "HIGHLY" suggest you seek professional help for the tax year you are reporting the sale. You will need to seek the services of a CPA or other tax professional that is familiar with U.S. tax treaties between the U.S. and whatever country the property is in, as well as the country you are from. I seriously doubt the TurboTax software will be capable of handling your situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies