turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold all my stock in USO in 2015 and it was noted in my 1099B. However, recently I received a K1 from USO. What should my cost basis be for NJ?

I sold all my shares in USO in 2015.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I sold all my stock in USO in 2015 and it was noted in my 1099B. However, recently I received a K1 from USO. What should my cost basis be for NJ?

I can tell you my understanding but I am not an expert so if the results don't look correct, please seek further information.  

If you sold the position, only part of what needs to be reported is the result of the sale which you have on your 1099B.  However, since you held the shares for part of 2015, you will still receive a K-1.  Enter all the information from the K-1 into TT form K-1.  In the Section of the K-1 below Part II you should check the box "Sold all interest."  Then you should have a page that came along with the K-I titled 2015 Sales Schedule.  Enter that information on the form that opens up being careful to follow the instructions on how to enter proceeds/cost basis depending on whether the sale has been reported on a 1099B or not.   If the Sales Schedule shows ordinary gain or loss you will enter it.  You will need to use the column "accumulated adjustments to cost basis" to modify the cost entered on form 8949 (your 1099B cost basis may already account for this so you should check your original purchase price with the amount shown on the 1099B).

I am sorry if this sounds complicated.

1.  Complete TT K-1

2.  Check box on TT K-1, "sold all interest"

3.  Use K-1 Sales Schedule information to complete TT form that opens

4. Double check the cost basis on the 1099B to see if it already accounts for the adjusted cost basis.  If not make the adjustment to the cost basis.  (I think that if Box D is check on the 1099B  "Cost Basis is reported to the IRS" the adjustment will already be made for you.)

I had two PTPs which I sold in 2015 and this is the process that I used (and used in prior years).   

Good Luck. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies