turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I reported sale of a rental property, but both 1040 line 14 (form 4797) and line 17 (schedule E) showed losses, in different amount. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I reported sale of a rental property, but both 1040 line 14 (form 4797) and line 17 (schedule E) showed losses, in different amount. Why?

The are two different types of income and losses. Line 14 show the result of the sale itself. Line 17 has the income or loss from the rental activity during 2017.

Thx.  I simply followed steps in TurboTax (used it for 20+ years) and ended with what I got.  The only thing I did differently this year was checking "Yes" when asked if I sold the property in 2017. I noticed a large negative value showed up on Line 22 of Schedule E  (it was always 0 in previous years) that came from Form 8582.  I don't know why Form 8582 got activated this year.  Any suggestions?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

That is because if there were any unallowed passive losses in prior years, the are now available to you upon the sale. This is a good thing.

Wow! Good to know.  Thx!
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You're welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies