turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dts3203

I reported $92.00 in oil royalties in Kansas and $71 in Louisiana for 2016 tax return for tax year 2017. I am not itemizing. Do I still have to fill out a state return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I reported $92.00 in oil royalties in Kansas and $71 in Louisiana for 2016 tax return for tax year 2017. I am not itemizing. Do I still have to fill out a state return?

You must file a Kansas non-resident tax return. 

From the Kansas Department of Revenue:  If you are not a resident of Kansas but received income from Kansas sources, you must file a Kansas return regardless of the amount of income received from Kansas sources

You are also required to file a Louisiana non-resident tax return

From the Louisiana Department of Revenue: Nonresident and part-year resident taxpayers who are required to file a federal individual income tax return are required to file a Louisiana income tax return

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Of which state are you a resident?
dts3203

Florida
dts3203

I lived if Florida all of 2017, no other state part-time.
dts3203

Thanks CarolynM!

You must file a Kansas non-resident tax return. 

From the Kansas Department of Revenue:  If you are not a resident of Kansas but received income from Kansas sources, you must file a Kansas return regardless of the amount of income received from Kansas sources

You are also required to file a Louisiana non-resident tax return

From the Louisiana Department of Revenue: Nonresident and part-year resident taxpayers who are required to file a federal individual income tax return are required to file a Louisiana income tax return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies