• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dts3203

I reported $92.00 in oil royalties in Kansas and $71 in Louisiana for 2016 tax return for tax year 2017. I am not itemizing. Do I still have to fill out a state return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CarolynM
Level 1

I reported $92.00 in oil royalties in Kansas and $71 in Louisiana for 2016 tax return for tax year 2017. I am not itemizing. Do I still have to fill out a state return?

You must file a Kansas non-resident tax return. 

From the Kansas Department of Revenue:  If you are not a resident of Kansas but received income from Kansas sources, you must file a Kansas return regardless of the amount of income received from Kansas sources

You are also required to file a Louisiana non-resident tax return

From the Louisiana Department of Revenue: Nonresident and part-year resident taxpayers who are required to file a federal individual income tax return are required to file a Louisiana income tax return

View solution in original post

5 Replies
CarolynM
Level 1

Of which state are you a resident?
dts3203

Florida
dts3203

I lived if Florida all of 2017, no other state part-time.
dts3203

Thanks CarolynM!
CarolynM
Level 1

You must file a Kansas non-resident tax return. 

From the Kansas Department of Revenue:  If you are not a resident of Kansas but received income from Kansas sources, you must file a Kansas return regardless of the amount of income received from Kansas sources

You are also required to file a Louisiana non-resident tax return

From the Louisiana Department of Revenue: Nonresident and part-year resident taxpayers who are required to file a federal individual income tax return are required to file a Louisiana income tax return

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v