turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I rented part of my primary residence for part of the year. Found screen for the number of rental days. Where is the screen for percentage? Need to allocate mortgage.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
VictorW9
Expert Alumni

I rented part of my primary residence for part of the year. Found screen for the number of rental days. Where is the screen for percentage? Need to allocate mortgage.

Follow the prompts on property profile and let TurboTax calculate your expenses for you. There you will find where it says to enter the rental use percentage.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That sounds logical but no such option ever appears.  The relevant screens are, "Do Any of These Situations Apply..." and I click "I rented out part of my home."  Then the next screen, "Was this Property Rented for All of 2019?" I click No and specify the division of days between rental and personal.  Is this a glitch with the Self-Employed version this year?  I've seen/used the percentage option in previous years so I am familiar with it.

Carl
Level 15

and specify the division of days between rental and personal.

That's one contributing factor. (You're putting personal use days of more than zero) But it's not the only factor.

On the "do any of these situations apply" screen there are three options you have to select.

- 2019 was the first year I rented this property

- I rent out part of my home

- I converted this property from personal use to a rental in 2019

For "days rented" the day count starts on the first day a renter "could" have moved in.

The personal use days is ZERO. Read the note below that box.

Then "No I do not claim a home office" since a home office is not allowed for this.

Then the next screen is "let us calculate.... for you" (which it what you're looking for. Select YES then enter the percentage of square footage that is exclusive to the renter and press on.

Days of personal use will be ZERO. Read the note below the personal use days entry box.

Finally, when you get done entering things in the assets/deprecation section take note of the depreciation the program figures for you. Then use the worksheet from page 36 of IRS Publication 946 at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p946.pdf to figure it manually yourself. My bet is, things won't match up. When they don't match up just let me know and I'll show you how to make the program "do the work" and figure it correctly.

Thank you.  The screen with the percentage option appeared after I changed the Personal use days to 0.  I think my confusion came from how the question was presented.  When TurboTax asks how many days your property was rented for, I read "property" to mean my entire house, not the portion of the house rented.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies