turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I rent to my cousin at less than fair market value. He includes the amount of utilities in his check to reimburse me, do i count the total of the check as rental income?

Do I add up the total of the checks and count that as rental income and not claim any rental utility expenses, or do I separate the amount for the utilities I am being reimbursed for and add them up and count them as a rental expense. I know since I am renting at less than fair market value that I cannot claim more expenses than my rental income. Will Turbotax do the math for me and correctly compute my deductions since I have indicated that I have rented zero days at fair market value? Also, can I enter the rental information on the same screens I would use for renting at fair market value (since I have indicated that I am renting at less than fair market value? Will Turbota handle it correctly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

I rent to my cousin at less than fair market value. He includes the amount of utilities in his check to reimburse me, do i count the total of the check as rental income?

No, the total income to be reported would be the total payments less the utility portion. Since your tenant reimbursed you for the utilities, you would not have any expense to deduct.

You would not report this under Rental Properties. Instead, follow the instructions below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5898460

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

No, the total income to be reported would be the total payments less the utility portion. Since your tenant reimbursed you for the utilities, you would not have any expense to deduct.

You would not report this under Rental Properties. Instead, follow the instructions below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5898460

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies