turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lilfoot62

I rent a craft booth and sell crafts as a hobby. I pay rent and 5% of my sales to the owner. Making less than $100 after 5% rent, how do I file this on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

I rent a craft booth and sell crafts as a hobby. I pay rent and 5% of my sales to the owner. Making less than $100 after 5% rent, how do I file this on my taxes?

You must report all the income you received for sales and then possibly deduct the rent paid to the owner.  This requires either a self employment return in order to reduce the income for the expenses from your income, or report it as a hobby without the ability to reduce the income by the expenses.  You can review the information to make your decision as to whether it is a hobby or a business.

Any income received for services or goods is taxable.  You have to decide if it's a hobby or a business for tax purposes. Review this page from IRS:

Key elements:

1. A hobby requires you to report the income you received and under the current tax law, Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), no expenses are allowed to be used to reduce the money collected even if you itemize deductions.
  2. A business allows you to deduct the costs necessary to obtain the income.  The law explains that 'you must be engaged in the activity to produce a profit'.  The test under IRS is that you must show a profit three out of every five consecutive year.

To enter hobby income and expenses in TurboTax please follow these steps:

1. Once in your tax return, click on Federal Taxes tab
  2. Choose Wages and Income
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income and click Start to to right of Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  4. Click Start to right of Hobby income and expenses

[Edited: 03/10/2022 | 7:53a PST]   @lilfoot62

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies