fdhelmer

I received a 2016 Form 1099-B when I cashed in some stock.The form was not filled out completely it did not have a DATE ACQUIRED (1a) which was 10-2-2006 and was missing

Cost or Other Basis Box (1e) which was $5,665.39 Do I need Black Rock to Reissue this form with the missing information so it matches what I am reporting?

TomYoung

No.  You've clearly sold a "noncovered" security which means that the broker is not reporting the date of acquisition or basis to the IRS.  Look closely at the 1099-B and you should see something about this.

Simply enter the sale and enter the date acquired and basis using your own records as investors have been doing for decades before the IRS dreamed up the concept of "covered" and "noncovered" securities.

This will be a "Box E" sale.

Tom Young

ratings image
TomYoung

This will be a "Box E" sale.

Tom Young