I put a new roof on my house in 2016. Can I claim my shingles? It appears I can, but want to make sure. I also installed a new furnace, high efficiency. Can I claim it?

The roof I paid for myself, but he furnace was paid partly by insurance because I had a flood in my basement.

Yes, per the IRS, "any metal roof with appropriate pigmented coatings or asphalt roof with appropriate cooling granules that are specifically and primarily designed to reduce the heat gain of your home."

In regards to your furnace, your cost for the equipment would be net of the insurance reimbursement (in other words, your out-of-pocket expense

If they apply, then please go Federal Taxes, Deductions & Credits, then go to Your Home (first section of the page), then Home Energy Credits, please Start.