turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

iitzen
Returning Member

I own farm land and rent it to others for cash. Do I declare this income on Sch E or Sch F?

Is this considered rental real estate or farming?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I own farm land and rent it to others for cash. Do I declare this income on Sch E or Sch F?

Farm land rented for cash goes directly onto schedule E.

Farm Rental is for when the landlord receives share crop income, (a percentage of the crop raised, not a cash payment).

Earned Income from a farm goes on schedule F which is subject to Se tax.

This is from the General Instructions for IRS form 4835;

Do not use Form 4835 if you were a/an:

• Tenant—instead use Schedule F (Form 1040) to report farm income and expenses;

• Landowner (or sub-lessor) and materially participated in the operation or management of the farm—instead use Schedule F (Form 1040) to report farm income and expenses;

• Landowner (or sub-lessor) and received cash rent for pasture or farmland based on a flat charge—instead report as income on Schedule E (Form 1040), Part I;

• Estate or trust with rental income and expenses from crop and livestock shares—instead report on Schedule E (Form 1040), Part I;

or • Partnership or S corporation with rental income and expenses from crop and livestock shares—instead report on Form 8825.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Farm land rented for cash goes directly onto schedule E.

Farm Rental is for when the landlord receives share crop income, (a percentage of the crop raised, not a cash payment).

Earned Income from a farm goes on schedule F which is subject to Se tax.

This is from the General Instructions for IRS form 4835;

Do not use Form 4835 if you were a/an:

• Tenant—instead use Schedule F (Form 1040) to report farm income and expenses;

• Landowner (or sub-lessor) and materially participated in the operation or management of the farm—instead use Schedule F (Form 1040) to report farm income and expenses;

• Landowner (or sub-lessor) and received cash rent for pasture or farmland based on a flat charge—instead report as income on Schedule E (Form 1040), Part I;

• Estate or trust with rental income and expenses from crop and livestock shares—instead report on Schedule E (Form 1040), Part I;

or • Partnership or S corporation with rental income and expenses from crop and livestock shares—instead report on Form 8825.

Farm land rented for cash goes on the Sch E as stated above by others. 

[edited 1/30/2017]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies