turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

snyd4886

I own an operating farm operated by my daughter but collected no rent. I paid the taxes, insurance, etc. How do I report this? Schedule f or e or something else?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I own an operating farm operated by my daughter but collected no rent. I paid the taxes, insurance, etc. How do I report this? Schedule f or e or something else?

If you have an operating farm, that means you have other income from sales of livestock or crops.

You'll use a Schedule F for that.

To input it into Turbo Tax Self Employed:

1.  Click Federal on the left-hand side menu.

2.  Click Income & Expenses across the top.

3.  Scroll down to Rentals, Royalties, and Farm and click Show more.

4.  Click Start or Revisit by Farm Income and Farm Rental.

Choosehave income from operating a farm.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you have an operating farm, that means you have other income from sales of livestock or crops.

You'll use a Schedule F for that.

To input it into Turbo Tax Self Employed:

1.  Click Federal on the left-hand side menu.

2.  Click Income & Expenses across the top.

3.  Scroll down to Rentals, Royalties, and Farm and click Show more.

4.  Click Start or Revisit by Farm Income and Farm Rental.

Choosehave income from operating a farm.

snyd4886

Income from crop sales all went to my daughter.  I had no income from the farm and no rent collected

If you didn't have any income, then you have no income to take your expenses off against.  Expenses are used to produce income.  Since you didn't have any income, you generally can't write those expenses off.

If your daughter received farm income and the expenses are used to help her receive that income, then she could write them off against her farm income, assuming it's the same farm.
snyd4886

Thank you!  I presume then that I will not have to fill out either schedule F or E.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies