Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I own an LLC in New Jersey. I also live in NJ. The LLC owns rental properties in South Carolina. The LLC doesn't need to file in SC, I do. Do I report income in SC?

Do I include my K-1 income from the rental properties in my South Carolina return or my New Jersey return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

I own an LLC in New Jersey. I also live in NJ. The LLC owns rental properties in South Carolina. The LLC doesn't need to file in SC, I do. Do I report income in SC?

The fact that you have an LLC doesn't mean that your rental is treated any differently taxwise. Income is still reported on Schedule E and you have to file a return for the state it is located in, as well as your home state. NJ may have a credit for taxes paid to other states.

A nonresident individual receiving South Carolina income from wages, rental property, businesses, or other investments in South Carolina, must file an SC1040 South Carolina Individual Income Tax Return and Schedule NR Nonresident Schedule. 

Carl
Level 15

As a footnote, start your "RESIDENT" state tax return *LAST*, so the program will properly account for any reciprocal tax agreement between the two states. Otherwise, you may risk being double-taxed on the non-resident state income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies