turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wdrouhard

I materially participate in the management of a rental property. Am I required to file form 1099 misc for payments of more than $600 individuals who do work for me?

I own only one rental single family dwelling.  I materially participate in the management, maintenance, etc. of this property.  I deal with several non incorporated business and individuals to make improvements or repairs.  Do I need to report on 1099 misc payments made to these individuals in excess of $600 annually?  The activity on this property shows up on a Schedule E on my 1040 generated by Turbo Tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

I materially participate in the management of a rental property. Am I required to file form 1099 misc for payments of more than $600 individuals who do work for me?

No. Small Landlords Not Required To File Form 1099. Owning a rental property is an activity carried on regularly and continuously for profit, and many landlords consider themselves to be in business. However, the IRS considers most rental activities to be passive activities, rather than active businesses.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MichaelDC

No. Small Landlords Not Required To File Form 1099. Owning a rental property is an activity carried on regularly and continuously for profit, and many landlords consider themselves to be in business. However, the IRS considers most rental activities to be passive activities, rather than active businesses.

vttaxes

What is your source/cite for this?  I'm seeing otherwise elsewhere.  Thanks.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies