turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm TX resident with small income from farming and house rental in WI. Majority of income is pension, SS and dividends. Turbo sends all income into WI. Seems incorrect?

Shouldn't only farm and rental income be taxed by WI?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ToddL

I'm TX resident with small income from farming and house rental in WI. Majority of income is pension, SS and dividends. Turbo sends all income into WI. Seems incorrect?

You are correct, as a resident of Texas, Wisconsin can only tax your income from farming and a house rental in WI.

I'm not sure what you are seeing in the program that indicates all the income is getting taxed by WI. The program should be preparing a WI non-resident tax return and the WI interview should have screens where you can allocate you income to the correct states.

Check your answers to the Personal Interview and make sure you:

1. Select Texas as your state of residence on December 31, 2016;
  2. Answer "No" when asked if you "Lived in another state in 2016?" That question only applies if you changed your state of residence during 2016.
  3. Answer "Yes" when asked if you "Earned money in another state?", that state being WI.

If you still think the program causing all your income to get taxed in WI, please update this post with additional details.

Frus888

I did all the steps indicated regarding nonresident of Wisconsin and being full time Texas resident (where we do not have state income tax). However, Turbotax is listing all my income from Texas which includes pension and earnings as from Wisconsin. I've checked the nonresident status but it still says I owe Wisconsin taxes---I received rental of 7250. Not sure why I  should owe 491 for Wisconsin on this.

Carl
Level 15

I received rental of 7250

Just a guess - or more accuractly a "Stab in the dark." What about farming income?

From what I see your WI income is taxed based on  your overall AGI from all sources. Not sure if I'm interpreting that correctly though.

What's the bottom line on your 1040 line 11b?

What's the bottom line on your WI form 1NPR line 31?

It's a bummer! I am a California resident with a rental income from a  part ownership in a commercial building in WI and ended up paying roughly 5% on my rental income from WI because it's determined  based on my entire  federal income  including the taxed social security benefits , pensions and the RMDs.  California excludes all social security benefits from taxation resulting in overall tax liability of less 2%!  I don't have to file tax returns for a couple of rental properties in TX!  Apparently, WI is not a tax friendly state! I would never invest there again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies