turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rtk0

I'm entering my book royalty $268 from the 1099-misc that the publisher sent me on schedule E and when I review I get "Check This Entry" Schedule E Worksheet (Untitled): Were 1099s required question must be answered. My options are "no entry", "yes, 1099s

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelDC

I'm entering my book royalty $268 from the 1099-misc that the publisher sent me on schedule E and when I review I get "Check This Entry" Schedule E Worksheet (Untitled): Were 1099s required question must be answered. My options are "no entry", "yes, 1099s

The question being asked is whether you paid any contractor $600 or more that would require you to issue a 1099-misc to that contractor. This would generally be for services provided by a self employed person or independent contractor, and not for goods or services purchased from a company. If you didn't make any payments of $600 or more to an independent contractor then answer no. 

The basic rule is that you must file a 1099-MISC whenever you pay an unincorporated independent contractor-that is, an independent contractor who is a sole proprietor or member of a partnership or LLC-$600 or more in a year for work done in the course of your trade or business. However, that a 1099-MISC need be filed only when an independent contractors services are performed in the course of your trade or business.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies