turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

scarlu1

I’m considering selling my rental property. Is there a simulator where I can plug in numbers and see the tax consequences?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I’m considering selling my rental property. Is there a simulator where I can plug in numbers and see the tax consequences?

You can use Taxcaster at https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

Be aware it's currently set up to work with the 2020 tax laws. But it should give you a good idea.

TaxCaster does not handle the maximum 25% tax rate calculation for unrecaptured Section 1250 gain (accumulated depreciation deductions) so you should only use it to get a very rough estimation of the tax consequences of selling rental real estate.

Carl
Level 15

Basically, your cost basis in the property is what you paid for it originally, plus the cost of any property improvements you paid for while you owned it. From that total subtract all depreciation taken on the property. Then any amount over that value that you sell it for is taxable gain. Take note that recaptured depreciation is taxed at a maximum of 25%. So if the gain on the sale puts you into the 32% tax bracket or higher, that recaptured depreciation will only be taxed at a maximum of 25%.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies