Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

k371

I lost earnest money deposit on a home purchase and seems that is a Schedule D loss IF THE HOME WAS FOR RENTAL. Do I need to prove it was for rental?

From previous answers to similar questions, it seems that it could be a Schedule D loss for acquiring a new venture that turned out to be not viable. Also, if we do deduct it, will the entire loss be deductible from other income (my other income is W2 wages income) or only 3000, the passive loss limit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

I lost earnest money deposit on a home purchase and seems that is a Schedule D loss IF THE HOME WAS FOR RENTAL. Do I need to prove it was for rental?

The loss on this purchase is a short-term capital loss. You do not need to prove that it was for rental.

The maximum deduction for capital losses is equal to your capital gains plus $3,000. If you had no capital gains, then your loss is limited to $3,000 per year until you have depleted your capital loss carryover. You will need to keep track of this capital loss carryover, which TurboTax will do as long as you keep importing the previous year's return into your current year.

Make sure that you keep backup electronic copies of your TurboTax files to guard against loss in case of a computer crash. The only copies that TurboTax Windows automatically keeps are on your computer, not in the cloud.

This article explains more about the tax treatment of capital gains and losses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

The loss on this purchase is a short-term capital loss. You do not need to prove that it was for rental.

The maximum deduction for capital losses is equal to your capital gains plus $3,000. If you had no capital gains, then your loss is limited to $3,000 per year until you have depleted your capital loss carryover. You will need to keep track of this capital loss carryover, which TurboTax will do as long as you keep importing the previous year's return into your current year.

Make sure that you keep backup electronic copies of your TurboTax files to guard against loss in case of a computer crash. The only copies that TurboTax Windows automatically keeps are on your computer, not in the cloud.

This article explains more about the tax treatment of capital gains and losses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies