turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Hawaii and am selling a house that has been rented the past 5 years. For Cap Gains tax, do i have to pay 15% to both the fed and the state - combined 30%?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I live in Hawaii and am selling a house that has been rented the past 5 years. For Cap Gains tax, do i have to pay 15% to both the fed and the state - combined 30%?

Just like any other income it is taxed by both the state & the feds at the tax rates they determine ... so yes, you could be paying 15% to both taxing authorities. 

Hawaii Capital Gains Tax

You will pay either 0%, 15% or 20% in tax on long-term capital gains (which are gains that are realized from the sale of investment you held for at least one year). Short-term capital gains are taxed at the full income tax rates listed above.

@Critter-3 wrote:

Just like any other income it is taxed by both the state & the feds at the tax rates they determine ... so yes, you could be paying 15% to both taxing authorities. 

Hawaii Capital Gains Tax

You will pay either 0%, 15% or 20% in tax on long-term capital gains (which are gains that are realized from the sale of investment you held for at least one year). Short-term capital gains are taxed at the full income tax rates listed above.

Where do you get 15% and 20% for Hawaii capital gains tax?  Did you copy the BS from smartasset.com's fake calculator?

If you work through the instructions to form N-11, it appears that capital gains are taxed at Hawaii's ordinary income tax rate (5-11% depending on your income).  There is an alternative capital gains tax calculation that may cap long term capital gains at 7.25%, although the calculation method is obscure and I haven't worked through it.  (Perhaps not coincidentally, that is the mandatory withholding rate that must be collected from non-residents who sell property in Hawaii.)  

See more at https://files.hawaii.gov/tax/legal/taxfacts/tf2010-1.pdf

https://choicehi.com/hawaii-capital-gains-tax/

So that means Hawaii taxes long term capital gains higher than ordinary income??

I also want to point out that on the Federal return, the gain due to the depreciation is taxed at your regular tax rate, up to 25%.  I am unsure how Hawaii taxes it.

If you want a fairly accurate estimate, use the CD/downloaded version of TurboTax (or create a 'mock' account in the online version) to create a 'mock' return with all of the estimated information.  Or go to a tax professional.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies