Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ceb190

I have never reported investment interest on form 4952 or elsewhere on my tax forms. Can I use the accumulated interest expense on my 2019 taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never reported investment interest on form 4952 or elsewhere on my tax forms. Can I use the accumulated interest expense on my 2019 taxes?

you must go back and determine whether or not you had investment interest carryover. from prior years.  you just can't deduct prior year's investment interest 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

you must go back and determine whether or not you had investment interest carryover. from prior years.  you just can't deduct prior year's investment interest 

ceb190

Thank you for the answer. So I believe I can go to prior years and determine each year's interest expense that exceeded investment income (generally just interest income and maybe some non-qualified dividends). This should provide the carryover for 2019. Then in 2019, allocate as investment income much of a large 2019 capital gain and take the carryover and 2019 interest expenses as a deduction.  
Autumnrain
Returning Member

How do I determine whether or not I had investment interest carryover from prior year. I am using turbo tax for the first time. My previous accountant did my taxes. Part I line 1 is blank, however, there are dollar amount entries in other areas of the 2019 form 4952.

I was also given a form 4952 (Alternate Minimum Tax) form. Part I is blank, there are entries in other areas of this form.

Can anyone advise me please?

you must amend prior years starting with the earliest.

your interest expense can then be carried forward to the next year until it is used up.

your interest expense generally is only good for offsetting dividends, so amending might not help.

There are other arcane rules. See the IRS Pubs.

you can go back three years to get a refund. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies