Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!

I have a stock market account, but have never cashed anything out. Do I need to report it, or only when I actually receive money from it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

No.   Have you been getting any dividends or interest on it?  You need to report those.  Did you get any forms like a 1099Int or 1099Div or 1099B?   If you reinvest the dividends into more shares you still have to report the dividends.

I haven't received a 1099 yet (surprisingly?) And the market account is managed for me: I am unable to add or change anything in it. I assume any dividend interest is reinvested into the account.

Is this account in a IRA or 401k or some kind of retirement account?  Those work different.  I would ask them if you should be getting any 1099s on this account.  You probably should be.  Have you been getting any statements?  Maybe they have the wrong address for you.  I would check with them.  Can you look up your account online and download any tax documents?  Most places have that online for you.