turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a rental unit attached to my home. How much do I need to spend on home repairs in order to not pay tax on rent received?

Rent is $850 a month
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have a rental unit attached to my home. How much do I need to spend on home repairs in order to not pay tax on rent received?

Will you have other expenses you can deduct like mortgage interest, utilities, etc.?  You also have to deduct Depreciation.  Did you rent it all year at 850?  Take the annual rent (850x12= $10,200) then subtract the expenses you know.  That leaves you with the Net Income.  That is how much you need to cover.

DJS
Alumni
Alumni

If current expenses (not for the improvement of property) plus depreciation equal or exceed your rental income you'd have no net taxable income. However, be aware that property improvements are depreciated over time and not fully expensed in the year they are incurred. 

These are the most common fixed expenses for a rental property. Some of them may not apply or may be paid by the tenant. 

• Water/sewer/gas
  • Electricity
  • Trash collection
  • HOA fees
  • Insurance
  • Property management fees
  • Property taxes
  • Mortgage payment
  • Repairs necessary to maintain the property in rental condition

These expenses you incur that don't result in a betterment, restoration, or adaptation are currently deductible repairs. 

Here’s the basic rule from the IRS: An expense is for an improvement if it:

• makes a long-term asset much better then it was before
  • restores it to operating condition, or
  • adapts it to a new use.

The IRS allows real estate investors to deduct rental expenses from income on the tax return. Normal expenses include items such as operating expenses, mortgage interest, repairs, materials and supplies, and property taxes. The cost of improvements made for the betterment or restoration of the property are recovered through depreciation. Tax law allows investors to deduct a certain percentage of the property value and any improvements made during the time they own the property annually. Two helpful IRS publications are Tangible Property Regulations and Deducting Business Expenses.

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**
Carl
Level 15

I have a rental unit attached to my home

So is this a duplex? Maybe it's a case where you finished out the basement and rent it out as it's own complete self-contained rental unit? Are all utilities (water, electric, etc.) billed separately on their own physically separate meter?

Basically, if you have a mortgage on the property then I *VERY* seriously doubt you will have any taxable rental income at all. Even if you tried to have taxable rental income, I doubt you would succeed.  For the most part, after you take your deductible expenses of mortgage interest, property taxes and insurance along with any other incidental and deductible rental expenses and combine that with the depreciation you are required to take by law, you will find it extremely difficult if not impossible to actually have any taxable rental income.

It's very rare for rental property with a mortgage on it to have taxable rental income (though not impossible, of course.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies