jamindaniel93

I have a rental property. I'm not sure how to do the depreciation. My brother has done my taxes in the past using turbotax. Can I import previous depreciation document?

Do I have to start over if I can import it? Thanks.

_Beancounter

Yes you may, here are the instructions with a link to TT answer:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900883-how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-in-turbotax-online

If you used TurboTax CD/Download last year and you're using TurboTax Online this year

You can transfer last year's tax data file (*.tax2015) if you're preparing your 2016 return in TurboTax Online Deluxe, Premier, or Self-Employed.

• You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a *.tax file.
Note: If you already started your 2016 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered.  Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.

Here's how to transfer:

You must be using TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app)  
  1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or continue a return you already started.
    (To continue a return, sign in and then click the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. Make sure you've gone past the blue "simple and accurate" screen before continuing to the next step.
  3. Select the My Account drop-down menu in the upper right, and then select Tools.
  4. In the pop-up window, select Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer.
Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file.

_Beancounter

Here's how to transfer:

jamindaniel93

I will try that. Thank you very much!
_Beancounter

You are very welcome. Good luck!
_Beancounter

If you know the user name and password your brother used to do your taxes...yes you can import last year. The depreciation and property assets should import into this years return.

_Beancounter

I am assuming your brother used the online TT.
jamindaniel93

I think he used the cd version. Will it still transfer?