Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

olsonn2

I have a loss on my K-1 from a rental business I own. but it comes thru as $0.00 on my return. why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JulieCo

Rental properties are deemed to be a passive type of income activity by the IRS; therefore, losses are limited as to what can be included on one’s tax return each year.  If you actively participate in a rental real estate activity, you can deduct up to $25,000 of your rental loss even though it’s passive, but this exception phases out as your income rises. If you have modified Adjusted Gross Income over $100,000, the $25,000 rental real estate exception decreases by $0.50 for every dollar over $100,000. The exception is completely phased out when your modified adjusted gross income reaches $150,000.   See more information regarding rental properties and taxes in this TurboTax article:  Real Estate Tax and Rental Property.