turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a capital loss in 2020. would like to offset my capital gains from my 2019 return. How do I enter that info in my amended 2019 turbo tax home and business?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I have a capital loss in 2020. would like to offset my capital gains from my 2019 return. How do I enter that info in my amended 2019 turbo tax home and business?

Huh?  You can only carry FORWARD capital losses.  You can't go back and apply 2020 losses to 2019 gains.  

Or do you have a business NOL? I don't know how those work.  I believe you can carry it back a couple years.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

there is a carryback election for net section 1256 capital losses (regulated futures contracts reported on form 6781). other capital losses do not qualify. under the CARES AcT a 2019 NOL must be carried back 5 years. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies