Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a brkg acct for my child but in my SSN. I nominee her on 1040 for DIVs. What will happen when I sell stock, how do I report cap gains as nominee so I'm not taxed?

To be clear, I do file 1099-DIVs to the IRS each year and "negate" the DIV income on my return as a nominee, and then she shows the DIV income on her return.  This year will be the first year that she will incur Cap Gains so will receive a 1099-B.  Can I do the same thing and report the 1099-B sale as a Nominee?  The brokerage firm initially said that to have the reporting under her SSN, we need to liquidate all of the securities and incur large cap gains.  She is not a minor. Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have a brkg acct for my child but in my SSN. I nominee her on 1040 for DIVs. What will happen when I sell stock, how do I report cap gains as nominee so I'm not taxed?

No you cannot nominate stock sales reported on a 1099-B... unless you switch the account to report the income under the child's SS#  you are liable.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

Talk to the brokerage firm  about changing the account to her SSN.   There's some question as to whether it was proper to even nominee the dividends.  A brokerage account  should not have been set up that way. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies