Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MR-B1

I had stock vest in 2017 and sold all the shares. The sale was not reflected on a W2 and I did not receive a 1099 from foreign brokerage. How do I report this income?

My employer is based in Australia.  These shares were granted in 2014 and I paid no taxes at that time.  When I sold all of these shares in 2017 at the time of vesting the proceeds were direct deposited to my US account.  There was no tax withholding.  I made a 1040es estimated tax payment to the IRS at that time to cover what I though was the estimated amount of tax on that income.

My W2 does not reflect this income.  The Australia brokerage who manages the stock program and made the payment to me did not provide me with a 1099. 

How do I report this income?  Do I need to report it?  Did my employer make a mistake my not including this income on my W2?  What if the Australian brokerage did not report it to my employer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

I had stock vest in 2017 and sold all the shares. The sale was not reflected on a W2 and I did not receive a 1099 from foreign brokerage. How do I report this income?

From what you are saying, you may be correct about this trade not being reported correctly.  You could go back to both and request further documentation, however they may be harder than it sounds.

Although you don't have the documentation from your employer or the broker you can still report the trade and the estimated taxes you paid to cover.

I'm going to show you how to report a trade although you do not have a1099-B.

1.  Go to the Federal section, Wages and Income.

2.  Choose Investment Income and then Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bond, Other.

3.  The first page asks if your received a 1099-B, your answer is NO.

4.  On the next page you will choose what type of investment.

5.  On the following pages your will enter your specific information about the stock, sale, purchase/vesting and other information that determines the gain/loss.

6.  Once this is entered, go to the Deductions and Credits, select Estimates and Other Taxes Paid.

7.  Choose Estimated Tax Payments.  You will answer YES that you made other tax payments.

8.  Go to the bottom of the page and select Additional Payments.  This is where you will enter the information for the estimated payment you made in anticipation of this stock transaction.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LisaBr

From what you are saying, you may be correct about this trade not being reported correctly.  You could go back to both and request further documentation, however they may be harder than it sounds.

Although you don't have the documentation from your employer or the broker you can still report the trade and the estimated taxes you paid to cover.

I'm going to show you how to report a trade although you do not have a1099-B.

1.  Go to the Federal section, Wages and Income.

2.  Choose Investment Income and then Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bond, Other.

3.  The first page asks if your received a 1099-B, your answer is NO.

4.  On the next page you will choose what type of investment.

5.  On the following pages your will enter your specific information about the stock, sale, purchase/vesting and other information that determines the gain/loss.

6.  Once this is entered, go to the Deductions and Credits, select Estimates and Other Taxes Paid.

7.  Choose Estimated Tax Payments.  You will answer YES that you made other tax payments.

8.  Go to the bottom of the page and select Additional Payments.  This is where you will enter the information for the estimated payment you made in anticipation of this stock transaction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies