kld1899

I had a Passover loss on my schedule E for my rental property and it disappeared when I apparently clicked the wrong item. How do I regain the information

Carl

Can you clarify precisely what "it" is that disappeared? The entire rental property? It might help to know what screen disappeared too, or on what screen the information is no longer present.

kld1899

No, last year the advisor had me write off the entire amount for repairs after tenant moved out and he did it in a way that an amount would carry over for this year.  It was a carry over number in rental income and loss section.  

VictorW9

Depending on what version of the software you are using, you should be able to enter the amount in your carry over worksheet. But you may have to be in forms view to be able to do that. If you can't, then you may want to start all over again and start by importing last year's carry over amounts.

davidsaquing

Why is my rental not importing from 2019 to 2020?  I purchase the same version of TurboTax (Home and Business).  Please help.  Thanks.

Here's my answer for a Schedule C that didn't transfer over.  It should work for Schedule E too.

If you used the Desktop program last year, see if you have another .tax2019 file on your computer.  

Or maybe last year you marked the Schedule C as FINAL in Turbo Tax?

Here's an idea.  Do you still have 2019 installed?  Try opening 2019 program and see if you can get your 2019 return to show up in it.  Go to FILE - OPEN.  And see if your schedule C is in it and if it's marked as finally disposed.  Or any Assets were disposed or sold.

Then save it again with a name and place you can find.  Go to File - Save As.  Then start a new 2020 return and transfer from the 2019 file.

That answer worked for this user - Thanks for the tip!  I did go back to the 2017 return and found a box checked that indicated the business on the sched C had been disposed of.  I unchecked the box, saved the 2017 file and re-imported.  All is good!  Thanks, again!

davidsaquing

you just saved my life.  thanks.