tnasby

I had a leak in a rental property. The repairs cost $6000, but I only paid $1000 as that was my deductible. Which if any do I deduct from my taxes as "repair expenses"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anonymous
Not applicable

since it only cost you $1,000 that's all you get to deduct. 

Carl

Generally, since insurance you pay for rental property is a deductible rental expense on SCH E, any payouts are considered taxable income. You can expect to receive a 1099-MISC or some other type of tax reporting document from the insurance company by the end of the first week of February.

If that happens, then you must include the insurance payout, with your rental income received. Then you will claim a repair expense of $6000 thus offsetting the taxability of the insurance payout.

If you do not receive some type of tax reporting document from your insurance company, then you can only deduct your $1000 deductible as a rental expense.