turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I found an old savings bond. I cashed it at my bank in 2017. The bond had previously been reported lost and cashed. I was billed by and repaid USDT in 2018. What to do?

The $25 bond was bought at my birth.  I found it cleaning out my parents home.  I cashed it at my Regions Bank for $173.38 in 2017.  I got notice from USDT on 12/26/2017, that it had been reported lost and had been cashed in previously.  I repaid USDT in Jan. of 2018.  I have and 1099-INT from Regions Bank for 2017 for the amount of $154.63.  Should I include this in my 2017 return?  If yes how do I get the interest amount reversed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

I found an old savings bond. I cashed it at my bank in 2017. The bond had previously been reported lost and cashed. I was billed by and repaid USDT in 2018. What to do?

You need to contact the US Treasury to discuss getting a corrected 1099-INT or another form that will negate this 2017 1099-INT.

However, this 1099-INT needs to be reported as income for 2017.  The IRS will receive a copy of this 1099-INT and will expect for the income to be claimed.

Then, you will report the repayment under Less Common Expenses for a credit for your 2018 taxes.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
LisaBr

You need to contact the US Treasury to discuss getting a corrected 1099-INT or another form that will negate this 2017 1099-INT.

However, this 1099-INT needs to be reported as income for 2017.  The IRS will receive a copy of this 1099-INT and will expect for the income to be claimed.

Then, you will report the repayment under Less Common Expenses for a credit for your 2018 taxes.

mjmann80
Returning Member

It was never sent! 2018 taxes were finished in March 2019.  You never sent it even tho I had paid.

mjmann80
Returning Member

They never received it!  You never sent it!  I had printed but got only a partial print.  I had no idea it was never sent as I gave you my fees.

@mjmann80 wrote:

They never received it!  You never sent it!  I had printed but got only a partial print.  I had no idea it was never sent as I gave you my fees.

Answered here - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-help/01/975658#M351858

mjmann80
Returning Member

I was on the computerfor more than 2 hours today working with someone and he had to get off.  He suggested I call back.  I tried.  I am getting nowhere.

mjmann80
Returning Member

I was told to go to account recovery.  Just found this.  It is case [removed].

mjmann80
Returning Member

Where is account recovery?

@mjmann80 wrote:

I was on the computerfor more than 2 hours today working with someone and he had to get off.  He suggested I call back.  I tried.  I am getting nowhere.

Paying the TurboTax account fees does not e-file your tax return.  Using the TurboTax online editions there is no e-file fee for a tax return, federal or state.  The account fees are for the use of the software to assist in completing a tax return.  The account fees are the same whether a tax return is e-filed or printed for mailing.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

A 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the IRS.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  Go to this IRS website for mailing addresses - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for accessing prior year online tax returns - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/01/270... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies