Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I flew to Arizona to work and rented a car. Are my airfare and rental car expenses deductible under business expenses or other deductible area

I work as a contractor for a company based in Virginia. My permanent residence is in Florida

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CathiM

I flew to Arizona to work and rented a car. Are my airfare and rental car expenses deductible under business expenses or other deductible area

Yes, your airfare and rental car expenses are business deductions.  Both can be considered "travel expenses".  If you are "self-employed" (a contractor and not a W-2 employee) report the travel expense on Schedule C along with other income and expenses for your contractor work.  There is also a per diem meals and lodging deduction you can take if you paid for your lodging and meals.  They list the "meals only" per diem rate separately from the lodging and meals per diem rate, in case they paid for lodging but not meals.  Click here for the gsa.gov website Per Diem rates look up.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CathiM

Yes, your airfare and rental car expenses are business deductions.  Both can be considered "travel expenses".  If you are "self-employed" (a contractor and not a W-2 employee) report the travel expense on Schedule C along with other income and expenses for your contractor work.  There is also a per diem meals and lodging deduction you can take if you paid for your lodging and meals.  They list the "meals only" per diem rate separately from the lodging and meals per diem rate, in case they paid for lodging but not meals.  Click here for the gsa.gov website Per Diem rates look up.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies