Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lindon17

I entered sale of oil working interest property under sale of investment. Since I got a 1099-MISC, how do I explain to IRS if e-filed or must I mail with an explanation?

I received a 1099-MISC from the oil company to which I sold two oil working interest properties and a disposal well. The form shows the amount paid under box 3 (Other Income). From other answers in turbo tax, it appears that I should actually show it under sale of investments so I can enter the correct information and show the cost basis. My question is can I still e-file or do I need to send my tax return by mail with an explanation about how I entered the amount on the 1099-MISC form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I entered sale of oil working interest property under sale of investment. Since I got a 1099-MISC, how do I explain to IRS if e-filed or must I mail with an explanation?

No, do not send your return by mail.  Go ahead and e-file your return with the sale entered correctly.  If the IRS writes to you about the 1099-MISC, respond to them promptly with the information showing that the income was included on your return.  The reason this is better is because when/if you get a CP2000, there will be a specific person assigned to receive your information, vs. a random data entry clerk at the IRS office.

Be certain you keep a copy of your filed return with all worksheets and schedules.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No, do not send your return by mail.  Go ahead and e-file your return with the sale entered correctly.  If the IRS writes to you about the 1099-MISC, respond to them promptly with the information showing that the income was included on your return.  The reason this is better is because when/if you get a CP2000, there will be a specific person assigned to receive your information, vs. a random data entry clerk at the IRS office.

Be certain you keep a copy of your filed return with all worksheets and schedules.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies