turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I used my 2nd home as rental property for 93% of the year and 7% for personal use. I do not see the 7% of mortgage interest or property taxes allocated to schedule A?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I used my 2nd home as rental property for 93% of the year and 7% for personal use. I do not see the 7% of mortgage interest or property taxes allocated to schedule A?

In the rental entry it is asks for the personal use days and the rental use days.  Then the expenses are prorated using this method.  Using this method TurboTax will allocate the expenses to each.

If you choose, you can enter the rental percentage in the rental activity and the personal percentage as an itemized deduction.

In TurboTax Deluxe desktop you can review Schedule A and Schedule E after your entry.  Be sure you answer the questions on the Rental Situations screen (image attached).

To review and go directly to the rental entry follow the steps.

1. Sign into your account and select your current return.
  2. Select  My Account on the top right and then select Tools
  3. Select Topic Search (see attached image)
  4. Search for rental and select Go (rental screen images are attached)
Follow the interview to enter or review your information.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

In the rental entry it is asks for the personal use days and the rental use days.  Then the expenses are prorated using this method.  Using this method TurboTax will allocate the expenses to each.

If you choose, you can enter the rental percentage in the rental activity and the personal percentage as an itemized deduction.

In TurboTax Deluxe desktop you can review Schedule A and Schedule E after your entry.  Be sure you answer the questions on the Rental Situations screen (image attached).

To review and go directly to the rental entry follow the steps.

1. Sign into your account and select your current return.
  2. Select  My Account on the top right and then select Tools
  3. Select Topic Search (see attached image)
  4. Search for rental and select Go (rental screen images are attached)
Follow the interview to enter or review your information.

I did enter property to allocation of rental vs personal use days in TT Deluxe.  I have reviewed the Schedule A and E Forms .. the personal use property tax allocation from my second / vacation home carried over to Schedule A.  The personal use mortgage interest allocation did NOT.
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Be sure to do a federal review and if you still don't see it try making a direct entry and review again.

Did a fed review but personal use mortgage interest still doesn't carry over to schedule A automatically ... I had to manually enter into schedule A mortgage interest worksheet
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Thank you for that update.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies