turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tomzen

Last year, we bought a second house (with a second mortgage) and put some money there to improve it, but we didn't have income for rental house. How can I add that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Last year, we bought a second house (with a second mortgage) and put some money there to improve it, but we didn't have income for rental house. How can I add that?

It depends -

If the house was available for rent but was not actually rented during the year, you can report your mortgage interest, property taxes and related expenses under the rental section. You would report the cost of any renovations to the house that are considered capital improvements (and the house itself) under the rental assets section. You would be able to claim a depreciation expense for both the capital improvements and the house. (If the improvements were made before the house was available for rent, then include the capital improvement costs as part of the basis in the house when entering the house as a rental asset.)

A "capital improvement" to your home, meaning the improvement must increase your home's value, adapt it to new uses, or extend its life. Examples of capital improvements are: adding a third bedroom, adding a garage, installing insulation, landscaping and more.

To enter rental information in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "rental income and expenses" in the search bar then select "jump to rental income and expenses". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

If this house was not available for rent but just used personally, you can report the mortgage interest and property taxes under the home section.

In this case, you will not be able to expense any of the improvements. Any capital improvements to the property would increase the basis in your house (and lower any capital gain on a future sale of the property).

To enter home deductions information in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "Schedule A" in the search bar then select "jump to Schedule A". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DS30

It depends -

If the house was available for rent but was not actually rented during the year, you can report your mortgage interest, property taxes and related expenses under the rental section. You would report the cost of any renovations to the house that are considered capital improvements (and the house itself) under the rental assets section. You would be able to claim a depreciation expense for both the capital improvements and the house. (If the improvements were made before the house was available for rent, then include the capital improvement costs as part of the basis in the house when entering the house as a rental asset.)

A "capital improvement" to your home, meaning the improvement must increase your home's value, adapt it to new uses, or extend its life. Examples of capital improvements are: adding a third bedroom, adding a garage, installing insulation, landscaping and more.

To enter rental information in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "rental income and expenses" in the search bar then select "jump to rental income and expenses". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

If this house was not available for rent but just used personally, you can report the mortgage interest and property taxes under the home section.

In this case, you will not be able to expense any of the improvements. Any capital improvements to the property would increase the basis in your house (and lower any capital gain on a future sale of the property).

To enter home deductions information in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "Schedule A" in the search bar then select "jump to Schedule A". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

tomzen

To follow up, can I report the downpayment and closing fees to rental expenses?
DS30

No. Both the total purchase price (including the down payment) and the closing cost as part of the basis in the property.
tomzen

But I can enter Title Insurance and Recording Fees from the closing statement into Escrow Fees, can't I?
DS30

I am not sure what you are asking but all these costs you mentioned are part of the closing costs and are added to the basis in the property.
tomzen

I bought a rental property last year and TurboTax asks me to Enter Escrow Fees in which I see Title Insurance and Recording Fees and so on. Where do I get the number for those? From my closing statement?
tomzen

I saw this article but still confused: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3090329-how-do-i-find-escrow-fees-for-a-new-rental-property-on-my-...>
DS30

Yes you get these amounts from the closing statement. You can add all the closing fees to your basis except for any prepaid property taxes or mortgage interest, then are expenses during the year they are paid.
tomzen

Yes, but the language TurboTax is using in Escrow Fees does not match the new form of Settlement Statement. Other places of the Rental Property are unclear too and there is no contextual help.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies