turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought a house to rent out and as a real estate investment in 2017. I incurred expenses getting it ready to rent in 2017. First rent collected in 2018. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I bought a house to rent out and as a real estate investment in 2017. I incurred expenses getting it ready to rent in 2017. First rent collected in 2018. What do I do?

You should claim a deduction for any start-up expenses in the tax year that the business officially opens. Please view the QuickBooks link below for more information.

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/taxes/3-tax-deductions-available-only-to-startup-businesses/

You will not be able to claim a deduction for capital improvements to your rental property on your 2017 tax return either since your rental property was not available for rent until 2018. Instead, you will increase the cost basis in your rental property which in turn will increase your depreciable basis (and increase the amount you will be able to claim as depreciation once your property became available for rent).

Click for more information about depreciation on rental property

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

You should claim a deduction for any start-up expenses in the tax year that the business officially opens. Please view the QuickBooks link below for more information.

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/taxes/3-tax-deductions-available-only-to-startup-businesses/

You will not be able to claim a deduction for capital improvements to your rental property on your 2017 tax return either since your rental property was not available for rent until 2018. Instead, you will increase the cost basis in your rental property which in turn will increase your depreciable basis (and increase the amount you will be able to claim as depreciation once your property became available for rent).

Click for more information about depreciation on rental property

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies