Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to tax a primary residence converted to rental last September?

We bought a new primary residence last July and rented our old one (which has been our primary residence for 10 years) in September.

How to reflect the above in TT premier online? I guess the 2021 real estate tax and mortgage interest for our old residence need to be split  to reflect  the primary-residence period and the post-primary-residence period.

TurboTax premier online doesn’t provide guidance on how to handle the above scenario. 

Pls help out 

thanks!

michael

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

" I guess the 2021 real estate tax and mortgage interest for our old residence need to be split  to reflect  the primary-residence period and the post-primary-residence period."

Yes, this is what you do. Prorate the mortgage interest and property taxes by date. Enter the personal portion on Schedule A and the rental portion on Schedule E. You will have to do the math yourself.

You'll enter these expenses in the Rental Expenses section under Other Common Expenses. (Click the screenshots below for reference.)

To get to the rental expenses section:

• Click My Account (top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type rental.
  • Scroll down in the results box, highlight rental (schedule e), then click GO.
  • You'll land on Income from Rentals or Royalty Property You Own. Click Yes.

Carl
Level 15

Assuming this is your fist time as a landlord, the below information will help to clarify some things for you that the program does not clarify very well. Note that absolute perfection in the first year of renting is not an option. It's a must. Even the tiniest of mistakes will grow exponentially over time. Then when realized years down the road, the cost of fixing it will be high.

Rental Property Dates & Numbers That Matter.

Date of Conversion - If this was your primary residence or 2nd home before, then this date is the day AFTER you moved out, or the date you decided to lease the property – whichever is later.
In Service Date - This is the date a renter "could" have moved in. Usually, this date is the day you put the FOR RENT sign in the front yard.
Number of days Rented - the day count for this starts from the first day a renter was contracted to move in, and/or "could" have moved in. That would be your "in service" date or after if you were asked for that. Vacant periods between renters do not count for actual days rented. Please see IRS Publication927 page 17 at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf#en_US_2020_publink1000219175 Read the “Example” in the third column.
Days of Personal Use - This number will be a big fat ZERO. Read the screen. It's asking for the number of days you lived in the property AFTER you converted it to a rental. I seriously doubt (though it is possible) that you lived in the house (or space, if renting a part of your home) as your primary residence, 2nd home, or any other personal use reasons after you converted it to a rental.
Business Use Percentage. 100%. I'll put that in words so there's no doubt I didn't make a typo here. One Hundred Percent. After you converted this property or space to rental use, it was one hundred percent business use. What you used it for prior to the date of conversion doesn't count.

RENTAL PROPERTY ASSETS, MAINTENANCE/CLEANING/REPAIRS DEFINED

Property Improvement.

Property improvements are expenses you incur that Improve, restore, or otherwise “better” the property. Basically, they retain or add value to the property.

Betterments:
Expenses that may result in a betterment to your property include expenses for fixing a pre-existing defect or condition, enlarging or expanding your property, or increasing the capacity, strength, or quality of your property. An example of a pre-existing condition or defect in this context would be something such as foundation repair (slab jacking) or some other, hidden and costly, anomaly.
Restoration:
Expenses that may be for restoration include expenses for replacing a substantial structural part of your property, repairing damage to your property after you properly adjusted the basis of your property as a result of a casualty loss, or rebuilding your property to a like-new condition.
Adaptation:
Expenses that may be for adaptation include expenses for altering your property to a use that isn’t consistent with the intended ordinary use of your property when you began renting the property. Adding a wheelchair ramp would be an example.

Expenses for these types of costs are entered in the Assets/Depreciation section and depreciated over time. Property improvements can be done at any time after your initial purchase of the property. It does not matter if it was your residence or a rental at the time of the improvement. It still adds value to the property.

To be classified as a property improvement, two criteria need to be met:

1) The improvement must become "a material part of" the property. For example, remodeling the bathroom, new cabinets or appliances in the kitchen. New carpet. Replacing that old Central Air unit.

2) The improvement must retain or add "real" value to the property. In other words, when the property is appraised by a qualified, certified, licensed property appraiser, he will appraise it at a higher value, than he would have without the improvements.

There are rules that allow you to just flat-out expense and deduct some property improvements instead of capitalizing and depreciating them, if the total cost of the improvement was less than $2,500. It’s referred to as “safe harbor di-minimis” But depending on the specific situation, this may or may not be beneficial. Just be aware that not every property improvement that cost less than $2,500 qualifies for this. If this interest you, the rules can get complex. So a good place to start reading is on the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tangible-property-final-regulations. The stuff on di-minimis starts about one page down.

Cleaning & Maintenance

Those expenses incurred to maintain the rental property and its assets in the usable condition the property and/or asset was designed and intended for. Routine cleaning and maintenance expenses are only deductible if they are incurred while the property is classified as a rental. Cleaning and maintenance expenses incurred in the process of preparing the property for rent for the very first time are not deductible.

Repair

Those expenses incurred to return the property or its assets to the same usable condition they were in, prior to the event that caused the property or asset to be unusable. Repair expenses incurred are only deductible if incurred while the property is classified as a rental. Repair costs incurred in the process of preparing the property for rent for the very first time are not deductible.

Additional clarifications: Painting a room does not qualify as a property improvement. While the paint does become “a material part of” the property, from the perspective of a property appraiser, it doesn’t add “real value” to the property.

However, when you do something like convert the garage into a 3rd bedroom for example, making a 2-bedroom house into a 3-bedroom house adds “real value”. Of course, when you convert the garage to a bedroom, you’re going to paint it. But you will include the cost of painting as a part of the property improvement – not an expense separate from it.

Thanks Carl. This is my first time as a landlord and there is a lot of great info to digest in your post. 
It’s becoming obvious I will need to prorate the real estate taxes and mortgage interest to cover the primary residence and post primary residence periods for our rented out condo. TT premier online asks for number of days rented, so I was expecting it to prorate things automatically. Pls confirm I will need to prorate manually

thx

m

Carl
Level 15

Pls confirm I will need to prorate manually

It depends on if you elected to do so manually, or if you elected to let the program do the splits for you. I suggest you elect the option to do it manually. When you let the program do it for you, it does not split everything and you are still required to split some things manually.

The main one is property insurance. For the period of time it was your residence, property insurance is not deductible anywhere on the tax return. For the period of time it was classified as a rental, a pro-rated portion of the property insurance is deductible on the SCH E line 9. If you elect to let the program do the splits for you, the insurance will not be split or pro-rated. It will apply whatever amount you actually enter.

Take note on the insurance that the IRS treats all of this "AS IF" the period of coverage is from 1 Jan - 31 Dec of the tax year. What the actual coverage period is just flat out does not matter. So if you paid property insurance on June of 2021 and the coverage period is Jul 1 2021 to Jun 31 2022, you will pro-rate "AS IF" the coverage period is 1 Jan - 31 Dec of the tax year.

The same holds true for your property taxes too.

I also highly recommend you check the figures for depreciation in the Assets/Depreciation section and confirm they are right. To do that, see IRS Publication https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p946.pdf and use the worksheet that starts on page 37. For line 6 of the worksheet, table A-6 on page 72 applies.

Because of IRS rounding, what you figure manually and what the program figures may be off by a few bucks. That's perfectly fine.

Like I said before, perfection in your first year is not an option; it's an absolute must. So if you have questions, no matter how dumb you may thing they are, please ask.

zqmaster
Returning Member

Hi @Carl I am in the same situation. No matter how I try, I can't trigger the program splitting function. Could you advise please?

If I have to manually split, when providing property interest amount for SCH A, the interest amount would not be the same as in 1098. I assume I need to check the box under Box 1 and explain why. Am I right?tu_q.PNG

zqmaster
Returning Member

@Mishonio2 I think it is not necessary to split real estate tax. The whole amount should go to the rental property section, as TT highlights at the bottom. 

@Mishonio2  scratch what I said, we SHOULD prorate the tax as well. Please see the reply from @MarilynG1 and @DianeW777 below

tu_q_2.PNG

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Enter your total Mortgage Interest and Property Tax as Rental Expenses first.  Based on the number of 'days rented'  TurboTax will calculate the rental % and put the remaining % on Schedule A for you. 

You can see the allocation on the Schedule E Worksheet.  You will also see it on the Tax and Interest Deduction Worksheet 

This works for both Mortgage Interest and Real Estate Taxes

Be sure you indicated in the Property Profile section under Rentals the number of days of rental, and the number of days of personal use (non-rental). 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
zqmaster
Returning Member

@MarilynG1 Thanks! I did enter tax and interest as the rental expense first, but... for some reason TT doesn't allocate any amount to schedule A. Also in the mortgage interest page, TT highlights rental portion of mortgage interest, which gives me an impression that it won't allocate the amount automatically based the days rented. Please correct me if I am wrong. How to trigger this allocation? 

tu_q_3.PNG

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

In testing this in Premier desktop, TurboTax did the split automatically.  I indicated I first used  the property as Personal, then started using for business on 6/1/2021.  

I put 180 days personal, 185 days business in the Property Profile section.  Make sure you said it 'was rented all year' (which means all year after available for rent). 

I can see the splits on Schedule E, Tax and Interest Worksheet and Schedule A.

You may need to pay for your return and download the PDF so you can look at the worksheets showing the splits.  Or, you can download your tax file to the desktop product to work more easily with the forms.  

You can also do the split calculations yourself and enter the amounts appropriately. 

How to Transfer from TurboTax Online to TurboTax Desktop

zqmaster
Returning Member

Hello @MarilynG1 Thank you for the detailed instruction! Very helpful! I confirm filling out personal days and rental days will enable the auto allocations. But ... this leads to another question. Based on TT's instruction below on the note - days before converting it to a rental do not count as personal use, the personal use for my case would be 0 days, which blocks the auto allocation. Does this mean, I have to manually allocate interest and tax between Schedule E and A?

tu_q_4.PNG

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes.  In the first year of the rental on the day of conversion it is 100% business use.  For this year only you should enter the proportional share of property taxes and mortgage interest on the rental and then on your itemized deductions manually. Our awesome Tax Expert @MarilynG1 also provided this option.

This actually makes a clean entry that will carry forward appropriately for 2022.  TurboTax will calculate the depreciation correctly based on the business conversion date (placed in service for rental).

If there are other expenses such as utilities you will enter expenses from the conversion to rental date forward for 2021.

zqmaster
Returning Member

Makes sense @DianeW777  Thank you both @MarilynG1 and @DianeW777 

Do I still need to prorate tax and interest on Sch A and Sch E, if I do not itemized deduction for the current year. Can I deduct all the interest and tax on Sch E when I converted my primary home to rental?

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

If your primary home was a rental property for all of 2022, then yes, you can just include it all on Schedule E. 

If it was not a rental for the entire year, then no, you would not be able to deduct the mortgage interest for the time it was your personal residence on Schedule E.  That would have to go on Schedule A.  You can choose to deduct the portion of interest for the rental time only on Schedule E and just not include the personal portion at all on your return.  You do not have to itemize to include the extra interest. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies